Ruling a Kingdom

Back to Wiki Home | Exploration | Locations | House Rules | Loot List

Upkeep Phase
If your kingdom currently controls 0 hexes, skip this phase and proceed to the Improvement Phase.

  • Step 1 – Determine Kingdom Stability: Make a Stability check against your Command DC to determine your kingdom’s level of security for the month. If you make the check, reduce your kingdom’s Unrest by 1 (if your unrest is at 0, gain 1 BP as a result of surplus goods and services). If you fail by less than 5, increase Unrest by 1; if you fail this check by 5 or more, increase Unrest by 1d4.
  • Step 2 – Pay Consumption: Deduct your kingdom’s Consumption from the kingdom’s Treasury BP. If you aren’t able to pay for the month’s Consumption, your kingdom’s Treasury BP drops to 0 and increase Unrest by 2.
  • Step 3 – Fill Vacant Magic Item Slots: If there are any vacant magic item slots in any Districts, there is a 50% chance each slot will be filled with an appropriate random item.
  • Step 4 – Unrest: Increase Unrest by 1 for each Kingdom stat (Economy, Loyalty, and Stability) that is below 0. If the kingdom employs a Royal Enforcer, you may reduce your total Unrest by 1 but must make a Loyalty check or suffer -1 Loyalty until the end of the turn. If the Kingdom’s Unrest is 20 or higher, the Kingdom descends into Anarchy. If the kingdom’s Unrest is 11 or higher, it loses one hex chosen by the kingdom’s leaders. Any improvements in that hex (farmlands and roads are lost and must be rebuilt after the hex is reclaimed. Any settlements in that hex become towns that must be annexed if they are to be reclaimed into the kingdom.

Edict Phase
The number of improvements you can make during a single phase is limited by your kingdom’s size.

  • Step 1 – Select Leadership: Assign leaders to any vacant leadership roles. Leaders must be PCs or closely allied NPCs. You can change leaders as often as you want with no impact on your nation’s statistics (apart from changing what bonuses apply, as the ability scores of leaders differ); reallocating roles allows you to give every player a chance to play the role of ruler if you wish.
    If you want to step down from a leadership position, you must find a replacement to avoid incurring the appropriate vacancy penalty for your position. Abdicating a position increases Unrest by 1 and requires a Loyalty check; if the check fails, the vacancy penalty applies for 1 turn while the new leader transitions into that role. If you are the Ruler, abdicating increases Unrest by 2 instead of 1, and you take a –4 penalty on the Loyalty check to avoid the vacancy penalty.
    If you are not the Ruler and are leaving one leadership role to take a different one in the kingdom, the Unrest increase does not occur and you gain a +4 bonus on the Loyalty check to avoid the vacancy penalty.
  • Step 2 – Claim & Abandon Hexes: Each hex on the maps of the Stolen Lands measures 8 miles across (54 square miles), and the PCs’ kingdom must be built hex by hex. To claim a hex, you must explore it and clear it of monsters or dangerous hazards; the hex must also be adjacent to a hex that is already part of the kingdom (with the exception of the first hex, which can be anywhere). At this point, you can claim the hex as part of the kingdom by spending 1 BP. Increase your kingdom’s size (and thus its Consumption) by 1 for each hex you claim.

You can abandon a hex to reduce your kingdom’s Size. Doing so increases Unrest by 1 (or by 4, if the abandoned hex contained a city).

  • Step 3 – Build Terrain Improvements: You may spend BP to build terrain improvements like Farms, Forts, Roads, Mines, and Quarries. You may also prepare a hex for constructing a settlement. Depending on the site, this may involve clearing trees, moving boulders, digging sanitation trenches, and so on.
  • Step 4 – Create and Improve Settlements: You may create a settlement in a claimed hex. You may construct a building in any settlement in your kingdom. The list of available building types is found later in this document. When a building is completed, apply its modifiers to your kingdom sheet. The first House, Mansion, Noble Villa, or Tenement your kingdom builds each turn does not count against that limit.
  • Step 5 – Create Army Units: You may create, expand, equip, or repair army units.
  • Step 6 – Edicts: Select or adjust your edict levels as you wish.

Income Phase
During the Income phase, you may add to or withdraw from the Treasury as well as collect taxes.

  • Step 1 – Withdrawals: You can also withdraw funds from the kingdom’s treasury, but doing so runs the risk of annoying the citizens. Each time you withdraw funds the Kingdom’s Unrest increases by 1. In addition, you must make a Loyalty check (DC = Command DC + Aggregate BP withdrawn); a failure causes your kingdom to gain Unrest equal to the total being withdrawn. Each BP withdrawn in this manner converts into 2,000gp.
  • Step 2 – Deposits: You can add funds to a kingdom’s treasury by donating coins, gems, jewelery, weapons, armor, magic items, and other valuables you find while adventuring. For every full 4,000gp in value of the deposit, increase your kingdom’s BP by 1. Items that individually cost more than 4,000gp must be sold as detailed under Step 3 below. Deposits cannot be made until all Withdrawals are paid in full.
  • Step 3 – Sell Valuable Items: You can attempt to sell items that cost more than 4,000gp through your city’s markets to bolster your kingdom’s Treasury; these can be items you recover during an adventure or they can be magic items you recover during an adventure or they can be magic items currently held by any of your cities. To sell these items, make an Economy check. A failed check indicates the item doesn’t sell. Success indicates that the item sells and you can increase your kingdom’s treasury in BP by half the price of the item divided by 4000 (BP = (Price/2) /4000).
    You can manipulate your kingdom’s economy to encourage an NPC to purchase an item (such as a random adventurer passing through the settlement). During Step 3 of the Income phase, you may attempt to sell one item for each Settlement District. If the check fails, nothing happens. If the check succeeds, erase the item from that slot, receive 1 BP for a minor item, 4 BP for a medium item, and 9 BP for a major item; you may attempt to fill the empty slot as normal in the next Upkeep phase.
  • Step 4 – Generate Income: Make an Economy check against your Command DC at the end of your Income phase. If you’re successful, divide your result by 3 (dropping any fractions) and increase your Treasury’s BP by that amount.

Event Phase

  • Step 1 – Chance of an Event: There’s a 25% chance that a random even occurs during an Event phase. This chance increases to 75% if no event occurred in the previous Event phase.
  • Step 2 – Destroyed Blocks: If an event destroys one or more Blocks, the devastation causes +1 Unrest per destroyed Block. The cost to build the replacement structure is halved if the replacement is the same type of structure as the one that preceded the destruction.

Ruling a Kingdom

Kingmaker SqueezeBox